Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Misconceptions of the newly natural and those considering



 If it works for her it must work for me*


I cannot do this*


I wish my hair looked like that *


My hair is unmanageable*



I will never find what works for my hair*


Natural, who am I fooling? I don't know what I am doing*


The only person who knows the handle my hair is a hairstylist


It worked for my relaxed hair...*


 She does not understand what I am going through, she got dat "good" hurr*


I don't know how to style this... Kiki, give me that glue and weave, Imma blend the heck outta this new growth*

I can't manage these two textures (grabs relaxer)*

  

*I'm guilty of feeling this way at different points in my journey

The Honest Truth
 Being natural is not for everyone. Not because their hair texture does not allow for it, simply because it takes a lot of patience to take care of a texture you probably have never dealt with. You can't chop your hair off or begin transitioning and expect it to behave like some of the hair you see on YouTube. It takes work.
 IF you are not willing to put in that time, it's best you don't take this journey right now. All that can come from it, would be resentment of your natural hair. There will be breakage, split ends, dryness and the many other issues that occur with natural hair if it is not properly taken care of. The same as with relaxed hair but we are so prone to see the negativity of being natural. We forget the breakage, the dryness and brittleness that may have occurred while relaxed; you know what we focus on..."I could of just put it in a ponytail and go."


 Bottom Line
If you have already taken the plunge know that there is a light at the end of the rabbit hole. If your considering going natural make sure you have the patience and time to rediscover your hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment